July 15, 2009
And it looks like Neve Campbell has refused to come back.
From today's New York Daily News:
Get ready to "Scream" one more time.
It appears another sequel to the once popular horror franchise is coming together, that is at least according to actor David Arquette.
"We are going to be doing 'Scream 4'," Arquette told E!'s Marc Malkin, indicating that both himself and wife, Courteney Cox, will be returning to the roles that brought them together.
Rumors of a fourth "Scream" film have been stabbed before over the last few years, but Arquette's comment seems to suggest it may actually happen. He went on to say that screenwriter Kevin Williamson, who penned the original films, was working on the script.
"Hopefully Wes Craven is going to direct," he added. Arquette and Cox met while making the first "Scream" film in 1996.
Williamson suggested last month via Twitter that Neve Campbell, who starred in the original "Scream" fright flicks, had already said no to returning to the franchise.
"Trying to figure out a Sid-less scenario. She won’t do it. This sucks," he reportedly wrote, although this "tweet" has since been removed.
Since then, all Williamson - who is presently working on the upcoming series, "The Vampire Diaries," for the CW - has only "tweeted" the following about "Scream 4":
"Thanks to all for their S4 support. Nothing new to report. Still writing away. Forgot how much I loved these characters.
Talk about this story on ESplatter's Message Board
Gotta scoop? Drop a line to Lucius Gore, editor